<< Go back
Map (Saturdays 9am to 12noon)
SMD-HELP: Duties of Lodges
The Masonic Lodges of Districts 4, 9 and 13 are the active, participating volunteer sponsors for the Hospital Equipment
Loan Program (HELP) Saturday morning distribution activities.
The Lodges of these Districts are assigned work Saturdays on a rotating schedule, year round.
Lodges of other Districts are welcome to participate on any Saturday they can be available.
Each Lodge should provide 3 to 5 volunteers on their Saturday, with at least one pickup truck to
help move equipment between the distribution office and our storage locker (about 2 miles away).
Knowledge of home medical equipment is NOT required. We can quickly show you what you need to know.
We are always pleased to have volunteers on non-scheduled days, but we expect those scheduled
to be there. Ladies are welcome to help at HELP.
Children are welcome to do community service at HELP.
The hours are 9am to 12 noon. But, if the Lodge cannot do the full 3 hours, we welcome
you to do what you can.
There is plenty of parking.
We are especially looking for volunteers who can enter data on a computer, are mechanically inclined, have knowledge of medical equipment or have a pickup truck to do some pickups or deliveries on their Saturday or to move equipment to our various storage lockers at the closing.
The rotation schedule of Lodges (new 2017) generally put the Lodge volunteer commitment at HELP
on the Saturday just after the Lodge's regular lodge meeting date every other month.
SMD-HELP: Duties of Volunteers
We have many varied tasks to be done each Saturday.
There is something for everyone to do and feel good about.
The range of tasks include:
- Cleaning equipment in favorable weather outdoors using our pressure washer and wiping dry with towels; and in bad weather, indoors with disinfectants in wash buckets and towel-drying.
- Inventory equipment, apply proper labels , engrave numbers where needed, and place equipment into active inventory.
- Repair wheelchairs, hospital beds, rollators .etc. Safety check all equipment before placing into active inventory.
- Receive returns and donations at rear of building.
- Closing down at the end of the morning means sorting all the returns and donations, deciding what goes to inventory and moving those things indoors, what goes into storage and gets moved into trucks to take to the lockers, and what equipment stays on the loading dock for later work or usage. By 12:15-12:30 p.m. the outside must be completely cleared and everything put into proper place and we are on our way home!!
Personal interactions with each other and with our clients:
Each volunteer at some during their lodge turn will interact with our clients.
Remember and respect the fact that most clients who come to us are "not themselves"
because of the pressures of family members, friends, or themselves needing medical goods or equipment.
Our operating philosophy is that the client is always right and we need to exhibit patience in our interactions.
Once starting to help a client, please stay with them until all issues are resolved and they have equipment in hand.
There are "core group" volunteers who can get involved to help bring resolution with a client or to answer tough questions.
Interaction with each other should be Masonic in nature and an enjoyable experience and leave you feeling with a sense of doing good and wanting to come back again!
© 2017 SMD-HELP Foundation Inc.
a 501(c)(3) recognized charitable organization
<< Go back